Did you miss the previous Fun Facts? No worries! Here they are: Keepers edition (Naeher, Harris & Franch)Defenders edition, Part 1 (O’Hara, Sa
Did you miss the previous Fun Facts? No worries! Here they are:
- Keepers edition (Naeher, Harris & Franch)
- Defenders edition, Part 1 (O’Hara, Sauerbrunn & Krieger)
- Defenders edition, Part 2 (Dunn, Sonnett, Davidson & Dahlkemper)
- Midfielders edition, Part 1 (Ertz, Horan, & Lavelle)
- Forwards edition, Part 1 (Rapinoe, Pugh, & Press)
- Forwards edition, Part 2 (Heath, Lloyd, McDonald)
- Alex Morgan edition
Morgan Brian, Samantha Mewis & Allie Long
We’re days away from the start of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France. Continuing my “Fun Facts” series, it’s time to meet the rest of the USA midfielders. Enjoy!
At the 2015 Women’s World Cup in Canada, “Moe” was the youngest player on the team. This year, she will bring experience, speed, and tenacity to the American midfield. She’s 26 years old and plays her club soccer for Chicago Red Stars.
- When her club team tried out for ODP for the first time, she was the only player on the team who did not make an ODP Florida team (and there were three teams). She used that as motivation, and the next year, she made the “A” team.
- Her nickname growing up was “Plankton” because she was so tiny compared to the players around her — because she was playing up 3 or 4 years.
- Moe played four years of high school soccer and won the Georgia state championship all four years.
- A multi-sport athlete, she also played high school basketball and was named All-State.
- She played college soccer for the University of Virginia and was named the best player in college soccer (MAC Hermann trophy) two years in a row.
At six feet tall, she’ll be a powerful force in the USA midfield. Mewis is 26 years old and plays her club soccer for the North Carolina Courage.
- She’s a scorpion. She played for Scorpions SC in Massachusetts growing up.
- At UCLA, she played alongside Sydney Leroux (Now Sydney Leroux-Dwyer). During Sam’s freshman year, she was 2nd in scoring for the Bruins behind Sydney.
- After her junior season at UCLA, Sam got her first senior team call-up for the USA. She got to play for the USA Women’s National Team alongside her older sister, Kristie, in a game against Sweden.
- She’s another multi-sport athlete. She played soccer in high school. Plus, she played basketball and ran track & field.
She’s a veteran midfielder at 31 years old, and she plays her club soccer for Reign FC in Seattle.
- Her high school soccer team wasn’t good. It was unreal. They went undefeated all four regular seasons of Long’s high school career. (Go Tigers!)
- She began her college soccer at Penn State, where the undefeated streak continued. The Nittany Lions were undefeated for her freshman season.
- During her junior year, she transferred to the University of North Carolina.
- Allie grew up on Long Island and loves playing Futsal in the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn. She says “It’s hands down the best training I get.” All of the hispanic men she plays against and alongside are some of her biggest fans. They call her “La Gringa.”
Pick up your Women’s gear (like that sweet World Cup jersey — LOVE mine!) at Soccerloco. Check out their new WOMEN’S SECTION at Soccerloco.com.