Did you miss the previous Fun Facts? No worries! Here they are:
- Keepers edition (Naeher, Harris & Franch)
- Defenders edition, Part 1 (O’Hara, Sauerbrunn & Krieger)
- Defenders edition, Part 2 (Dunn, Sonnett, Davidson & Dahlkemper)
- Midfielders edition, Part 1 (Ertz, Horan, & Lavelle)
- Midfielders edition, Part 2 (Brian, Mewis & Long)
- Forwards edition, Part 1 (Rapinoe, Pugh, & Press)
- Alex Morgan edition
The 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup kicks off tomorrow (finally). It’s time for the last set of FUN FACTS!
Tobin Heath, Carli Lloyd, Jessica McDonald, and Alex Morgan
So many “last” cliches come to mind. “Saved the best for last” doesn’t quite fit, since the entire roster USA is amazing. “And the last shall be first” may be a better fit, but nah. “GRAND FINALE” doesn’t seem right, either. Since we’re all crossing our fingers for the Grand Finale to be July 7th when the USA wins their fourth star. As we wait for the USA to kick off their Women’s World Cup campaign on June 11th, enjoy the last edition of FUN FACTS with three of the greatest goal scorers in the world.
She just celebrated a birthday — Tobin turned 31 on May 29th. She’s a Jersey Girl through and through, having grown up in Basking Ridge, New Jersey. She plays her club soccer for Portland Thorns in the NWSL.
- She played three years of high school soccer in New Jersey and was ranked the #2 soccer recruit in the nation in 2006 (same grad year as JMac below).
- Instead of playing soccer her senior year in high school, she trained with boys’ teams.
- Her youth soccer club was PDA Wildcats. They won the 2003 US Youth Soccer U15 National Championship.
- In her college soccer bio, she said her favorite food was Eggo Waffles.
- She has a very close family (3 siblings), and has described herself as a devout follower of her Christian faith. In that same college bio, she listed her career goal as “Follow Jesus.” (see video below)
Lloyd 36 years old and plays her club soccer for Sky Blue FC in the NWSL. In and out of the national roster for years, it took a special coach to finally get her to become the world-dominant player that she had the potential to become. READ THIS article she wrote for the Players Tribune for more about that journey (it’s worth the time!).
- If I wasn’t clear enough before, GO READ THIS ARTICLE she wrote for the Players Tribune. Srsly.
- She’s another Jersey Girl, but she grew up in South New Jersey. Delran Township was her hometown, about 20min north of Philadelphia.
- She played all four years of high school for Delran High School and graduated in 2001.
- Her youth club was Medford Strikers, who she helped win two State Cup championships.
- While playing for Rutgers (staying in her beloved New Jersey), Lloyd became the Scarlet Knights’ first athlete in school history to earn first-team all-conference honors for four consecutive years.
Jessica McDonald (JMac!)
She’s a legit soccer mom — the only mother on the USA roster. Give her instagram a follow and catch her stories, because she posts the cutest pics and videos of her little dude. She’s a few months older than Tobin Heath. She just turned 31 on February 28th. She plays her club soccer for North Carolina Courage in the NWSL.
- She’s from Phoenix and played her youth club soccer for Sereno Soccer Club.
- McDonald did not play high school soccer. Instead, she was a standout in basketball and track. She left Cactus High School in Phoenix holding the records for the 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, and 4×400 meter relay team.
- An unlikely road got her to the University of North Carolina for college soccer. She played junior college soccer for two years at Phoenix College before transferring to UNC and joining Tobin Heath on the Tarheels roster.
- Her favorite food (in college, at least) was PB&J with Cheez-its.
- She is obviously very wise. Because she knows that Chick Fil A fries are the best. (see below)
Pick up your Women’s gear (like that sweet World Cup jersey — LOVE mine!) at Soccerloco. Check out their new WOMEN’S SECTION at Soccerloco.com.